Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
by Mindy Kaling

This is my first book review and I thought it appropriate to start out with something that was an easy read plus entertaining. Thank goodness I came across this book by Mindy Kaling. Let me state up front that I think I am probably one of the last remaining people on earth that has never seen an episode of The Office, so I literally picked this book from the title alone. Before reading this book, I had no idea of who Mindy Kaling was and now I feel as if I know her.

Mindy wrote this book in a way that allows the reader to feel as if they were going through some of her life experiences right beside her. If you are not an avid reader but love to read then this book is for you. Let me revise that last sentence. If you are a female and not an avid reader but love to read this book is for you. Why? Because this book has Mindy saying a lot of the things we want to say out loud and are only thinking. You know that moment when you actually have to ask yourself, "Did I just say that out loud?" She also reveals many things that you may have thought but never told anyone only because you thought you were the only person thinking that. All I can say is Mindy is your girl because odds are you have at least one other person that shares that thought. One of my favorite moments in the book was when she wrote about the differences from men and boys. She said until she was thirty she only dated boys. She also defined commitment that women want and not what men think it is, at least in her opinion. I totally agree with her 100% when she wrote, I’m not talking about commitment to romantic relationships. I’m talking about commitment to things: houses, jobs, neighborhoods…It’s a commitment to not floating around anymore.

There are several moments in this book that Mindy nearly reminds me of one of my best friends. She is funny and I don’t think she realizes how much and my friend is the same way. I think we all have that one friend that you really can’t get mad at and if you do it can’t be for longer than a minute because they are just being themselves. Based on the text of this book, I would venture out to say that Mindy Kaling is that friend in her circle.

1 comment:

mikaj said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check this out over the summer. Well, once I get a library card.