Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Lessons in Personal Accountability...

I just had a security call because a 19 year old young man was fighting with another man on the property. The security guard approached them and they cussed her so badly that she called me. When I arrived, the first thing out of this 19 year old's mouth was "Ms. Blake, I hate you and I'd appreciate you not saying shit to me because you took my mama from me two days before Christmas two years ago. You really hurt my feelings by doing that!"

Wow... I know that people tend to hold grudges and it's always nice to blame SOMEBODY when things go unfavorably in life. But how is it MY fault that his mother was arrested on felony warrants two days before Christmas two years ago????? Parents, please teach your kids about personal accountability and taking responsibility for their/your own actions. Otherwise, they will go through life pointing one finger at others while three fingers are pointing back at them!

Thank You,
Officer Blake

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most people believe that in order to be an effective officer, one has to become desensitized and calloused... That's just not true. What breaks my heart about this, is that not only was this child deprived of happiness on a day that is meant to be celebrated- but he truly holds ME personally responsible for his pain that he is carrying YEARS later! Had his mother or SOME caring adult taught him about accountability and accepted responsibility for their own actions, then he may not be carrying around this same disdain today. Nobody wins in a situation like this-- and it's the child that suffers most. -Blake

Anonymous said...

I so agree with people taking responsibility for their own actions. It is a lesson that is so often overlooked. When you make a mistake - any type of mistake - you need to own it. Too often people play the victim card when it's unwarranted.