Monday, June 20, 2011

Nashville Pride 2011


This weekend I attended Nashville's Pride celebration. In past years I have attended this festival when it had been in Centinial Park and it was fine there. However, in recent years they have moved it downtown to the Riverfront. I had my doubts about the logistics of that but I think it turned out for the better. For starters, instead of putting a fence along First Avenue, they set it up so festival goers could go in and out of the back entrances to the businesses and bars on Second Avenue. This was a great idea, and had it been especially hot that would have come in very handy for cooling off. People usually end up crowded in the one beer tent because that was the only place you could drink at pride. They had drink vendors all over the place this time and of course the bars were available. We found a good crowd ended up at Coyote Ugly. I've been to this bar before but seeing some cute lesbians up on that bar was definitely much better this time!

The best thing about pride for me this year was the music. They had a few stages set up for musical acts, and I have to admit there were some really great acts. That said, I have to mention and give a shout out to Heidi Burson and Reverse Halo Effect. I really loved seeing both acts perform. There was also a band that sounded so much like Abba we thought it was a recording. Even though I'm the complete opposite of an Abba fan - I hate them with a fiery burning passion only a Scorpio could handle - I have to give them props for this. At any rate, I'd say this festival was a success despite the rainy weather. The daytime festival is a good time for the whole family ( both traditional and not so traditional) to come have a good time at the Riverfront. Of course the next part of pride is everyone going out on Saturday night to kick it. This is where this story ends, cause what happens in the club stays in the club.


1 comment:

mikaj said...

I learned something today. I didn't know that Nashville had gay pride parades.