Saturday, October 29, 2011

The DIY Corner: Home Decorating ForThe Beginner

Are you tired of looking at the white walls?  Does the idea of choosing the wrong color cause a bit of anxiety?  Decorating your place should be fun and exciting not something to dread.  Find your inspiration piece to guide you and help select your color scheme and accessories.  Your inspiration piece may be a print, a pillow, a book, a place or anything that invokes a good feeling.  Do not be afraid to mix and match.  It is your space and it should represent you and make you feel proud when you enter.
I am still making my house a home that reflects my eclectic taste and I started with the bathroom.  I hope this small space would not be so overwhelming, would not take much time and give me the courage to tackle the bigger projects. 

My inspiration was a piece of artwork:  


My starting point was selecting the green from the flower stem as my wall color.  To add a more contemporary flair to the room, I selected rugs with warm colors to complement the wall art in contemporary shapes.  I kept the shower curtain simple, in a shade of green to complement the wall color and added a few simple accessories.  Now if I can only find a light fixture I like.  Painting…no problem, putting together furniture….bring it on, changing a door knob...even tried and conquered this project.  I just do not know if I am ready to attempt an electrical project.  I may have to leave this one to the pros. 
Before Picture:








After Pictures:




Thank you for reading my first post for Real. Life. Woman. Talk. I hope my post helps some of you with your home decorating projects.

1 comment:

mikaj said...

Very nice! Good job!