Saturday, May 14, 2011

Should Adults Skate?


So I'm sitting here at this skating rink and as you would expect on a Saturday afternoon there are tons of kids running around skating, falling, crawling around like moving speed bumps for anyone taller than 4 feet.
As an adult with limited or no control on skates this could present a bit of a challenge. Imagine you are on skates for the first time in five - ten years starting to get the hang of it and BAM little Jeffrey falls right in front of you. Of course you don't have the control to stop, change direction, or Heaven forbid jump over the kid, clear all major body parts, AND land on your feet. The obvious choice is that you end up down there with him, but that fall on your thirty something body is not handled nearly as well as those 7 year olds.

This was similar to my experience last Feb. when on a Saturday much like this one; I went skating at my friend's birthday party. I swear my first time setting foot/skate on the rink in what was probably 10 years was during the race. So not only do I have to relearn balance like Mr. Myagi has me balancing on a stump practicing my crane kick in the wind, but I also have to not be the lady person coming around the corners. Oh God, the corners! Those are the worst! What do I do with my skates? How do I maintain speed or slow down as needed? Eventually I get the hang of it and can get around decently. That was NOT during that race btw.
I know a lot of adults are afraid of skating. More specifically they are afraid of getting hurt. I was asked if my insurance was up to date today when I mentioned going skating. I also had one of my supervisors once tell me that people over like 24 should not skate. She cited one of our co-workers breaking her ankle trying to skate as one of her reasons.
I have to disagree with them on this. You could get hurt anytime doing anything. If you really want to try skating you might try an adult skate night. If you think that you can't skate because you are too old, those nights will really show that you are only as old as you feel. The cool thief about these nights is there are groups as small as 2 people and as large as 10+ doing skate routines as they round the rink. It's fun to watch them and the older couples I've seen doing what can only be described as ballroom skating. Some of these people have incredible strength in parts I've forgotten I even have!
Another cool thing about these nights and perhaps the main reason I recommend it for us novices who aren't used to skating anymore is that the adults don't fall all around you repeatedly. They also know how to look out for the other guys even if it's just to keep from falling themselves.
I personally always have a good time on the occasions I have gone skating as an adult in the last year or so, so of course I'd recommend it to almost anyone else.

1 comment:

mikaj said...

I love to skate! I find that a lot of adults didn't learn how to skate as a child and have no desire to learn. Skating is a great way to stay active and it's simply fun.