Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter Everyone!!


Ok I just want to ask you all, how many found that statement offensive? I f you did why did it offend you? I think it’s interesting that in the last several years of trying to be “PC” and inclusive of everyone that we have started to extinguish our own culture and traditions. If Christmas was our tradition then why is it offensive to tell someone Merry Christmas? If they choose not to celebrate that they could simply reply back with “have a nice day” or whatever the salutation for their holiday of choice for the season and we could all keep it moving.
I heard a news story about school kids and they had to call Easter Eggs “spring spheres” or something instead. I mean ok they are Easter Eggs. You’re learning about your own or someone else’s culture. What is the harm in that? We sang about and made dreidels in elementary school and let’s just say there was a tiny percentage of Jewish people in the whole school if any at all – know what I mean Vern? No one got offended about it. We were just learning about something other than our ways.
I think my point here is that the way for us to be inclusive is to learn as much about any culture who is willing to share and teach anyone who is willing to learn about our own.

No comments: