Friday, January 4, 2013

The Coily Hair Chronicles (Nappy Good Times)


 

Back to Our Roots... 

 Years ago, we planted ourselves on a bed of pillows between our mother’s knees, as she took down the cornrows, twists, or any other style that she had chosen for us to wear to school that week. Normally, this task was agonizing, as it  usually involved the breaking of little black rubber bands, and was showered with warnings by our mother to keep quiet and sit still.  Moments later, we headed to the kitchen sink, and awkwardly stood on our knees in a chair, or tip-toed uncomfortably with hand towel over our eyes. (I always shrieked when water either too hot or too cold made contact with my scalp, and let's not leave out the fact that the hand towel never kept the shampoo out of my eyes.)  Thus began the seemingly endless process of the shampoo, blow dry, press, and curl. At 9 am, we were looking like Celie, but by 4 or 5 pm, we felt like Aaliyah, and the painful detangling and sizzle of the hot comb was just a memory. While the days of Royal Crown, Blue Magic, and Hot Combs, are distant for many of us, it seems that "returning to our roots" has become an epidemic in the African American Community.

 I am fully aware that many women have sworn off their kinks, coils, and curls, with no intention of breaking their allegiance to regular relaxers and flat irons. I have no issue with your intentions to continue to care for your hair in this matter. (Yes, It is Possible for women with relaxed hair to have healthy hair!) But, as for me and my house, we will return to our roots! POWER TO THE PUFF! (Fully extends fist upward).  I implore you, women both young and old, natural, relaxed, undecided, and transitioners, to go with me this year on my journey in natural hair. While I have been fully natural since 09/04/11,  it wasn't until roughly 8 months ago, that I truly embraced my crown and made it a personal mission to influence and encourage the journey of other naturals! I'll be here to help you with: tips, advice, styles,  product reviews, regimens, funny stories, words of encouragement, and to answer questions that you may have along the way. When I don't have an answer, I will find it for you, because I have no shame in admitting that I don't know everything ( please, don't tell my husband).

I am by no means claiming to be  a Natural Hair Expert, but I am an expert at  what works for my hair, and what has helped me to stay dedicated in my journey. I have so many things that I want to share with you all, but we have a whole year to cover those things! Come and go with me on a journey of transformation, personal acceptance, and spiritual and emotional growth. I'm almost certain you won't regret it!

*Clarashands*  

*If you want something you've never had, you have to be willing to do something you've never done. -- Thomas Jefferson*

No comments: