Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Dilemma: Natural Hair Care vs. Body

Hello to all my Real Women,
As many of you know, one of the latest trends among African-American women is to “go natural”…free ourselves from the relaxer.  Well, last year I took the plunge and thought I would try it again.  The past two times that I have tried it, I’ve only made it about nine months, but I kept hearing my friends and family say “after you make it past the first year, things get better…just stick it out”.  I’m proud to say that I did it, and I am approaching my one year anniversary of the date of my last relaxer, August 29th!  This date is referred by some refer as their Independence Day, but unfortunately I’m not feeling so free.  As a woman that enjoys wearing my hair straight, and working out, instead I have found this new hair to be a real challenge.  You will find me most days chilling in my pony tail with my edges slicked back.  Y’all know how we have to wet our hair, apply the gel on the edges and use your husband’s brush to brush it back (and hope he doesn’t realize you got gel all in his brush…tee hee hee).  Some days when your hair is really resistant, you might even have to use a final step and tie it down with a scarf for a while before you go to work.  I guess I still haven’t figured out the right way to manage my new natural roots.  Don’t let me “get my hair did” and the stylist is able to get it really straight at the root.  I won’t see the inside of a gym for a week! Why must I choose between my hair and my body?  Why can’t those of us that don’t have “good hair” have it all too?  This is a really frustrating subject for me, so I would like to hear from you.  Have you decided to “go natural”?  How do you wear your hair?  If you wear it straight, what’s your best tip or trick for managing your hair?
Can’t wait to hear from you ladies!
Peace,
IvyLeague

No comments: