Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cell Phone and Water = Not A Good Combination

This post is to help anyone that may drop their cell phones in water. I am talking like a puddle, shower, or sink. I am not talking about if you drop it in the pool or anywhere that it is submerged for an extended period of time. Recently a friend and myself were having dinner when she said she had told a friend to put her cell phone in rice after she dropped it in water. Of course me being the silly person I am, I thought she was joking and began to laugh. She said, no I am serious. So of course I had to find out if it worked and yes, it did. So from that experience we now have a blog post. Hence, the reason this blog was created in the first place right?

Putting a wet phone into a sealed container of rice dries it out. This works because the dry grains will absorb moisture. It is best to get a sealable plastic ziploc bag or container. Fill the bag or container with enough rice to cover your phone and bury your phone in the rice. You will need to make sure you place the battery and other parts in the rice too. Once you have done this then you will need to wait for a minimum of  24 hours for the rice to absorb the water. It probably wouldn't hurt to wait 48 hours. My friend said her friend waited 24 hours and that was enough time for her phone to dry out. The good thing is that rice is rice so it doesn't matter if you use white or brown rice. Please note that you may get some pieces of rice in some small crevices of your phone but the alternative of having to file a insurance claim and pay a deductible is more of a headache in my opinion. Plus, who cares if you have to clean out a piece of rice or two, it is worth it to have your phone back!

No comments: