Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Trust Issues

Ladies, in the days since women began being catered to in the media we have seen story after story about how to know if you’re being cheated on and lied to. When we get to a certain age of dating we have learned not to be naïve about things that we are told by our friends, lovers, potential lovers and friends. We have essentially been put on defense mode at all times. People tell you to guard your heart. And why is this? Because we are so used to dating and talking to some shady fools who have ruined it for us and for the next person who we try to see. You could meet a great guy or gal and they are honest as can be and never give you a reason to doubt them, but the first time they tell you something that either doesn’t make sense or doesn’t sound quite right we are programmed to think the worst so we can catch them in the lie and not be hurt. I must admit guilt to this as well. In past relationships – if you can call them that they were so short- I have had people tell me all kinds of crazy shady stuff. And of course there were times when I believed them, no matter how ridiculous it sounded. Why? Because I wanted to trust them. Cut to now.

I've learned and grown from those experiences but in doing so there is also a kind of loss of innocence. Obviously when speaking of relationships most people want to find their "one" and often when you think you have met someone with potential to be that we give them the benefit of the doubt a little more than we should. Too many times I've done this to where now sometimes I think hmmm so and so is being shady, maybe they are lying or have this ulterior motive for telling me to do this or that. Later on even if they don't realize how you took whatever it was they said or did the wrong way you still feel a little dumb for automatically thinking the worst of them. I've done this and not only did they not have bad intentions they had the best intentions and I missed out because of my suspicions.

Ladies I think the lesson here is still guard your heart but don't build an impenetrable mote around it. You have to trust some people. Of course you are going to get hurt sometimes but heartbreak is part of life and it makes us appreciate more when we meet friends, lovers, etc who are actually good to us and for us.

1 comment:

mikaj said...

I will probably think twice before I tell myself or a friend to "guard your heart". Thanks for sharing your thoughts!