Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Freedom and Family


I want to acknowledge Memorial Day, giving honor to all who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country and also to the families whom they left behind.

One of the freedoms that I cherish the most is the freedom to choose family. We all have our biological family. Your relationship with that family may be wonderful, rocky or just ordinary. It is what it is -as the saying goes. We have some control over aspects of our relationship with our biological family and there are things we cannot control. Again, it is what it is...

In addition to the family you were given, if you are lucky you have an additional family - one which you have chosen. I firmly believe that you are reflected in the people with whom you surround yourself. Chosen family can be children, mothers, brothers, sisters, aunties, dear friends and, of course, partners......

I am lucky. My given family has, like all families, their own good parts and not so good parts. Normally crazy. I have children whom I adore and who continually fill my heart with pride. A grandson that, I am quite certain, hung the moon. A partner who is wonderful. I love them madly and cherish my relationship with them more than any tangible possession imaginable.

My chosen family amazes me daily with their love, support, generosity - in every aspect of the word and always the way that matters the most at the moment. I am honored that each of them has also chosen me. I can't imagine life without either of my families.

So today and every day I am grateful for the men and women who are willing to risk their lives to continue to ensure me the freedom to choose my family. I continue to pray that truly equal freedom will be given to all - but that is another subject. I send love, deepest sympathy and healing vibes to the families of those who do not return from their call to duty.

And, I challenge you to first, thank or at least say a prayer for a soldier and their family; and secondly, take stock of your chosen family - what they say about you, what they bring to your life and what you bring to their lives. And tell them daily that you love them - even if only through thoughts released into the universe.

Namaste~


No comments: