Tuesday, April 12, 2011

HTC Thunderbolt vs. HTC Evo


I’m sure there’s other techie ladies out there like myself. This blog entry is definitely for you. I love discussing this stuff so at the end if you have questions, comments, points for discussion speak up.

I was inspired to write this particular blog after switching from the Evo 4g to the Thunderbolt and of course their respective carriers. The main reason for the switch was the lack of reception in my house and other places I often go. Out of fairness to the carriers because no carrier works everywhere so that is taken into consideration in any comparisons I might make. However, I intend to really do more of a comparison of phone to phone.

Prior to switching I was simply doing it for the better reception in my house as I previously stated. Having read specs on the Thunderbolt and comparing it to the Evo I thought “ok cool, this is just an Evo on Verizon’s network with more storage.” I even ran my know-it-all mouth to a friend who, let’s just say knew better, and I’m sure wanted to say something but didn’t. Fast forward 4 days when I finally got this phone and started using it. Let me just say this is me publicly EATING MY WORDS. The Thunderbolt said I see your Evo and I will crush it in my hands!

The first thing one notices is the screen. Its color is so brilliant you realize what you haven’t been seeing on the Evo’s screen immediately. There is no need for side by side it’s very obvious. It’s slightly more responsive but the Evo did not have any response time problems.

Ok here’s where it is absolutely imperative to do a comparison of network to network on these phones. The main reason is the vast difference between the wimax 4g and the LTE 4g. Again same friend tried to tell me how much better LTE is. During the last few days that the Evo was activated I did some speed tests in different places and got results ranging from 1.10 down/1.47 up to 10.07 down/3.09 up. The average was about 5.93 Mbps over the course of 4 days. These are decent results especially from a cell phone. When I got the Thunderbolt and ran speed tests there I was blown away!! On the first speed test I ran I got 21Mbps down/35Mbps up. I ran other tests and would get results around 13-15Mbps down/20 – 30+ Mbps up. I’m sure that the first week that I had the Thunderbolt I ran so many speed tests they probably thought I was crazy! It paid off. One night around 3am I did a test and got my “high score” of 35Mbps down. Using the mobile hotspot app (free until May 15th) I can tether my laptop at speeds comparable and in some cases faster than my home uverse internet.

There are a number of things that are the same on these phones. Both have an 8mp camera with dual LED flash and a 1.3 mp front camera. Both have a 1000 MHz snapdragon processor. However, the Thunder bolt boasts an updated version of the processor (MSM8650 vs. MSM8655). The performance of the phone’s screens and menus is noticeably faster and smoother than the Evo. They also improved upon the design of certain functions such as copy/cut/paste making them easier to use on the Thunderbolt.

The Thunderbolt also sports an upgraded kickstand from the Evo. The kickstand is wider yet not intrusively wide. The wider kickstand gives it more stability and allows it to be used to steady the phone in either orientation. The Evo’s kickstand only works in Landscape orientation (it’s too small *snicker*). The one thing the the Thunderbolt does not have is the hdmi out that the Evo did. It baffles me why they would remove this feature from the phone, but in the grand scheme of things it’s not that big of a deal. The Thunderbolt is also significantly lighter than the Evo. I had both in my hands and the Evo without a case was still heavier than the Thunderbolt with its hard case.

I personally really love the Thunderbolt and I’m glad I made the switch to this phone.

No comments: